Wednesday, April 20, 2011

In Light of the Shots that Rang Out at a Houston Elementary School Yesterday

In light of the shots that rang out at Ross Elementary School in Houston yesterday, I was compelled to address a parent's responsibility with regard to gun safety. This shooting was not about revenge, mental illness or protection like so many of the other school shootings. This school shooting was about a six year old boy having access at his home to a loaded gun. I don't believe that this little boy brought this gun to school to do any harm. It is quite disturbing to me that the parents of this boy had a loaded gun lying around where he could get to it.

Early in my counseling career a little boy of about the same age told me about the loaded gun that his parents had under their bed to shoot the oppossum that kept getting into their trash at night. I immediately called the parents and let them know that their son knew about where the gun was hidden and had actually taken it out and played with it. The parents' response surprised me. At first it was one of denial, their son did not know where the gun was hidden. This response was curious to me, as I was able to relay to them where it was hidden. Denial is a wonderful thing. Next, they held to the fact that their son knew better than to ever touch the gun. It wasn't until I told them that they would be held accountable for any injuries incurred if their son discharged the gun, that they agreed to lock the gun up where their son could not reach it. I was saddened by the fact that they only agreed to take action because they may get in trouble. Many states have laws that hold the parents accountable for any injuries done by their child with a gun that they own. Check your state for the laws that apply to you.

I don't believe that guns and young children belong in a house together. If you believe that you need to have a gun in your house to protect your family, I hope this incident makes you rethink how safely you are storing that gun. Are your children able to get to it? Is it locked up? Are you storing it unloaded with the bullets hidden in a different location? Remember children are innovative at getting things that they are not suppose to have. Food for thought: although it is sometimes difficult for me to open those child proof medicine bottles, children typically have no problem opening them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment