Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Poem about Family Values and Responsibility from a Teenager

Teenagers, responsibility and family values are words that don't seem to really go hand and hand but when I read this poem by my niece, Brooke, that is what came to mind.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I come from a family where...
You always say grace.
You pull your own weight.
If you ain't dirty you weren't workin.
You disrespect your momma and your gonna get hit.
... You pull your own weight.
You don't get nothing handed to you.
Sweet Tea is ALWAYS in the fridge!
You start riding fourwheelers before you could crawl.
You call everyone Aunt and Uncle.
And you wore steel toes before you could walk!


By: Brooke Tasker...My Very Wise Teenage Niece...Daughter of Carla and Cliff

Carla and Cliff, you need look no further than the words of this poem to know that you are instilling the right values in the heart of your daughter.  I think Brooke's words teach us about the important role that a parent must play in raising their child if they want them to grow into a responsible adult.  Maybe four wheeling and steel toe shoes on toddlers doesn't fit into the lifestyle of every family but I sure hope that Brooke's undelying message of family values and taking responsibility for your own actions does.

No comments:

Post a Comment