Sunday, May 20, 2012

Is Holding Up A Humiliating Sign An Appropriate Way to DisciplineYour Child?

Is holding up a humiliating sign an appropriate way to discipline your child?  Reshonda Tate Billingsley thinks so.  When her daughter posted pictures of herself with alcohol, she had her post a follow up picture of herself holding a sign that said "Since I want to post photos of me holding liquor I am obviously not ready for social media and will be taking a haitus until I learn what I should + should not post.  BYE BYE."  I am all for disciplining children, what I am not in favor of is humiliating them in that process.  Building a trusting and respectful relationship with your teenager is an uphill battle that can be obliterated in an instant when they feel that your action has humiliated them in the eyes of their friends.

I suggest that taking away their social networking priviliges and their phone will have the same results as the picture but avoid the humiliation and the irreparabled damage to your relationship.

2 comments:

  1. It may also send a message to other teens though who may have seen the post. This sounded a little more like a little embarrassment to me, rather than humiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that to you and me this would be a little embarrasing but to a teenager or tweener being embarrased in front of their friends rocks their world to it's very core.

    ReplyDelete