Thursday, May 24, 2012

In the Good Old Summertime Series: Removing Ticks

As a child who lived in the mountains near woods, I was getting my share of ticks embedded in my head.  Since they usually embedded themselves under my very thick head of hair, traditional methods didn't work.  I wish that my mother had known about this method. Using the tweezer method caused me to lose several hairs that were pulled  along with the tick.  On occassion, this method leaves part of the tick still under the skin because it broke off. 

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

Be aware that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and your family if you see any of these area!

No comments:

Post a Comment