Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Some Hard Learned Lessons From the Mother of the Bride

When I got married, my mother made all of the decisions with regard to the wedding.  That is the way it was done.  Now that my daughter is getting married, I have found that things have changed.  The bride is the one making the decisions.  In my daughter's case, she wants to make many of the decisions, but not all of them.  It feels like a balancing act, trying to figure out when she wants to make the decision and when she wants me to make the decisions.  In the last few months, I have alternated between hearing "it's my wedding" and "I don't care, you choose". 

The most important lesson that I have learned about wedding planning is do your homework on the internet before going out to visit vendors.  I wasted a few days making the trip to the wedding location before catching on to this one.  This is not quite as important if you live in the area where the wedding is being held, but we live about an hour to an hour and a half away. I searched for venues, bridesmaids dresses, rental companies, photographers and florists.  Picked out the two or three that best fit our needs and made appointments with them.  I even searched through pictures of hundreds of bouquets and floral arrangements.  E-mailed the top forty pictures to my daughter.  She picked out her favorites in each category.  I am taking these pictures to the florist which saves my daughter having to make the trip and saves me time as well since I don't need to look through all the florists pictures.  Some prep work has saved me hours and hours of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment