Monday, August 8, 2011

Meeting Your Child's Future In-Laws

This weekend we finally met the people most important to the man my daughter is going to marry. It went very well and they were wonderful people, but what do you do if that isn't the case? What do you do if you don't get along with your child's in-laws?

I can only speak to this issue from the standpoint of the children, but maybe hearing my experience will help make your experience go smoother. My parents and my in-laws did not really get along when they first met due to some fundemental differences and beliefs. First of all my father in-law was a union member and my father worked for the management side of union negotiations (fortunately not for the same company). Secondly, we were of different faiths. Catholic and Lutheran. Both were Christian faiths but it was at a time that those two religions were not really seeing eye to eye. I will tell you that it was the cause of some very tense moments and many disagreements between my husband and I over the years. Even after all this time, they seem to compete with each other over things like time with the grandchildren and where we spend the holidays.

Being aware of these types of issues may help me to try to get along better with my daughters in-laws and be more understanding about the time that she spends with his family. Marriage is hard enough, I don't want to add any undo stress to my daughter's marriage by putting myself in competition with his family. I do realize that this will be difficult because I will be fighting against my maturnal instinct of wanting to keep her my little girl. Wish me luck.
















No comments:

Post a Comment