Monday, July 9, 2012

"Do As I Say Not As I Do" ...A Personal Story

In many posts that I have made, I have spouted the importance of positive self-talk for you and your children.  This is a story about not taking my own advice and it hurting my ability to achieve my goal of writing a parenting book.  I was making good progress until three months ago when I hit a brick wall and have made little to no progress since.  Who do I blame: ME.  It was about that time when I could see the book coming together and being nearly finished made me fearful of showing my work to anyone.  I started telling myself and everyone around me "that I am not a writer".  Talk about a good example of the power of self-talk, in this case unfortunately it was negative and had a very negative effect on my completing my goal.

It took me three months to come to this realization for myself, even though the people closest to me tried to tell me a couple months ago.  I guess many of us do have blinders on when it comes to ourselves and our children.  This morning I have taken the blinders off and taken action.  Action one:  writing this post to hold myself accountable.  Action two:  I put a few inspirational "writing" quotes and the words "I am a WRITER!!" on my bathroom mirror. 

Important fact about the power of positive self-talk:  it doesn't matter if you believe the positive self-talk or not, by just say it you trick your brain into believing it. 



The words of Buddha says it best, "He is able who thinks he is able." That is one going up on my mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment