Thursday, November 17, 2011

Save Our Libraries...We Need Them

I have many fond memories from my children's early years of spending time at our local library.  My children loved attending the library's storytime where the librarian would read them a wonderful story while I received some much needed respite from my "mommy" duties.  We also would make a weekly visit to pick out books for our evening reading time.  I think this reading time helped to foster the great love for reading that both of my children have today.  The library allowed us to provide our children with reading material that we could not afford to buy.

It makes me sad to think that there are libraries all over the country closing their doors or cutting back severely on their hours and services due to budget cuts.  I strongly agree with the idea that our government needs to make drastic cuts to the budget but I believe that the library system is not the place to start.  Today's library provides many services to it's community.  It provides free internet access to those who can't afford to have it in their home, movies and audio books free of charge, workshops to assist in these troubling times, as well as access to best selling books and storytimes.  We need our libraries today, more than ever.

Save our libraries!!!  Write your congressman, or send an e-mail to the editor of your local paper or news station if your library is in jeopardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment