Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Parent Feeling Overwelmed

Today, my post is going to be therapuetic for me. I am finding myself overwelmed and totally stressed out by the amount of things that have been thrown at me in the last two weeks. Helping someone and her two dogs move out of our house, sick parents times two, sick dog, cleaning all my carpets and moving my furniture back into the house, truck breaking down and having to purchase a new car, two 9 hour car rides, and the pending five day visit of a family of five. I am not saying that all of these things are bad, but they certainly are all causing a rise in my blood pressure. I think that we are living in a time due to the economy and the state of affairs around the world where we are finding ourselves stressed out more than ever. I thought I would share with you what is working for me and what isn't.

One thing that doesn't work to lower my stress is when someone (you know who you are) tells me that so many people have it worse then we do. I know that, but that does make my stuff feel any smaller. It still seems overwelming to me. Some things that I do when I am feeling as if the world is using me as a punching bag are: taking a long leisurely walk (intense exercise works for some people but not me), nice long bubble bath while listening to soothing music, cranking up some of my favorite sing along tunes and singing as loud as I can, deep breathing, journaling, venting with a friend, and talking it through with God. I share these techniques with you, not in the hopes that you will use what works for me, but that you find what lowers your stress level and use them. We are not the best parents that we can be to our children when we are stressed out and it helps our children learn how to deal with their stress when they see us doing it. Stress is not going to go away, we just need to learn better ways of dealing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment