Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Great Idea for Teaching the Value of Money to Very Young Children

I came upon a great idea for teaching your young children about the value of money at a charity garage sale that I was hosting. I noticed that these two little twin boys who could not have been older than three were each holding a small jar with change in it. As they found treasures at the sale, they brought them over to their mother to see if they had enough money to purchase them. I couldn’t help but notice that one of the boys wanted to purchase a DVD, but he was ten cents short. Just as I was about to say that I would knock the price down, the mother shook her head at me and told him that maybe he could save his money this week and buy a DVD next weekend. Kudos to this Mom for not giving in and letting him have it, and shame on me for trying to bend her rules. She told me that throughout the week each of her children had the opportunity to earn money that they could use when they went to Garage Sales over the weekend. What a great lesson she was teaching her children. They were learning all about the value of money even before they knew how to count it. Maybe in this “gimmie” society, we could all learn a thing or two from this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment