Friday, November 9, 2018

Some Suggestion for Grandparents who are Not in their Grandchidren's Lives

Being a grandparent is one of the best experiences in my life. I am sad that their are some grandparents who are not permitted to or chose not to be a part of their grandchildren's lives.

If you are choosing not to be a part of their life due to choices that their parents made, I would like you to consider that the child was not the one to make those choices. In today's society, children need all the positive support that they can get. Most households have two working parents and parents are not able to attend all of those special events at school or daycare. Recently I attended a Halloween parade at my grandson's daycare and  today I am going to my granddaughter's school to share a birthday lunch with her. I see these as a win-win for myself and my grandchildren. I wish this for all grandparents.

If you are not allowed to be a part of your grandchildren's lives because of bad choices you made, consider making amends with their parents. They may not believe you at first but keep trying. What you gain will far exceed any discomfort that you feel doing this. If the things in your past are to bad to make amends for, consider keeping a journal about your feelings with regard to your grandchildren. They may choice to meet you when they become an adult and you can share your journal at that time.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment