Monday, October 17, 2011

Have You Ever Considered Making Your Child's Halloween Costume with Them?

Some of my funniest and most memorable moments of my children's childhood came when working with them to create a costume. Whether it was a halloween costume, a costume for a school play or a costume for a themed ride or party didn't matter. What made (and still makes) those times so memorable is that we were creating something together.

If you are thinking that you can't sew I have a secret to let you in on, I don't sew either. That's where the creativity comes into play. We have put together outfits using what we have in our own closets, as well as treasured finds from thrift stores. Some costumes that we have made over the years are: Minnie Mouse, the Little Mermaid, Bikers, Pirates, Elvis, Reindeer, superheroes. These "homemade" costumes have received many compliments over the years. I haven't really heard too many people compliment the store bought variety and don't get me started on the safety of those plastic masks. Probably the costume that comes to mind as one of my all time favorites is the lunch lady costume that we put together for a Crohn's and Colitis biking event that my son was crewing. Shameless plug here for "Get Your Guts in Gear", a great bike ride and community for those who have a connection to Crohn's or Colitis and even for those who don't. Riders and crew alike still remember "Madge" eventhough it has been more than five years since she made an appearance. It still makes me laugh thinking about the faces on the people in the thrift store as my son let me know how the dress he was trying on fit.

Consider spending some time over the next two weeks before halloween, creating a one of a kind costume and a "priceless" memory with your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment